Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Meaning of Hygge

I spent some months in Copenhagen a few years back, and the Danish concept of "hygge" stuck with me - it encompassed so many things that I enjoy. Hence the name of this new journal, which will attempt to gather more of the things that I like, things that I find hyggelig.

As I understand it, hygge is about warmth, coziness, a good mood or spirit, friends and family, and (often booze-fueled) good experiences. I'm all for that.

Candles, blankets, couches, dimly lit spaces, small homes, hot meals, coffee, glogg (which, for the record is nasty. why are there raisins and nuts in my wine?) - these are quintessentially hyggelig things. Whole cities can be hyggelig if they give you that good feeling, and being in Copenhagen, I came to know what that meant.

2 comments:

Suerta said...

I just returned from Denmark, and I know what you mean. Every cafe, every restaurant, every museum was warm and cozy.

Suerta said...

I just returned from Denmark, and I know what you mean. Every cafe, every restaurant, every museum was warm and cozy.